Historic City Hall in Nacogdoches

Picture of City Hall in Historic Nacogdoches

Historic City Hall in Nacogdoches


Nacogdoches City Hall stands on a site that originally was the location of the first house in
Texas owned by General Sam Houston. This Building, an example of frontier style architecture,
was constructed in 1891 and operated as the Liberty Hotel until the 1950's. It was purchased
by the City of Nacogdoches in 1967 to house administrative services and renamed the Gladys
Hampton Building in honor of this person's contribution to public welfare. The series of nine
flags displayed on the balcony represent the countries and forms of government under which
the city has existed.


(Next Picture: Hoya Land Office)
(Outline)
(Thumbnails)