The Haden Edwards Inn in Historic Nacogdoches
The Haden Edwards Inn is named after the first empressario of Texas and the leader
of the Fredonia Rebellion of 1826 which advanced the movement for Texas Independence.
This historic home, located at 106 North Lanana between the the Sterne-Hoya House
and Oak Grove Cemetery in the Zion Hill District, was built in the 1860's and renovated
in the 1890's by Nacogdoches architect Diedrich A. Rulfs. It is the architect's best example
of Victorian Stick, a transitional style that developed in the last quarter of the 19th century
between carpenter Gothic and the more popular Queen Anne homes. As a example of
Victorian Stick, the Haden Edwards house is a soaring vertical structure, asymmetrical
in form, with a decorative pattern of horizontal, crisscross, and diagonal boards that
create a flat, multi-textured surface effect. This effect is seen especially in the upper
stories around the narrow windows and gable ends. A steeply pitched irregular roof,
projecting gables, large porches, and bright contrasting colors are also
characteristic of Stick Style.
(Next Picture: A Small Garden)