The Veterans day Parade in Historic Nacogdoches
The Veterans Day Parade continues west on Hospital St., named after the 18th century Spanish hospital that existed in this block. Hospital begins on the east at La Nana St. where it meets the iron-gated entrance to historic Oak Grove Cemetery that borders on La Nana Creek Trail and La Nana Creek. On the west it ends at Pearl St. whose boundary is defined by Banita Park and Banita Creek.
Hospital St. is the Avenue of several significant sites in the history of Nacogdoches. Coming west from Oak Grove Cemetery it first crosses Mound St., named after the ancient Caddoan ceremonial mounds that once existed nearby in the Washington Square District. Only one mound exists today.
The Greek Revival styled John Durst house (1850), now an interior decorating business, remains at the southeast corner of Hospital and Church St. On the opposite corner is the Roland Jones House (1898), designed by architect Diedrich A. Rulfs in the ornate Queen Anne Victorian style. It is a bed and breakfast Hostelry.
The Nacogdoches Title Company is the contemporary building seen to the far right in this picture. Across Fredonia St. on the corner is the mini-garden of 3 Bradford pear trees and octagon shaped fountain with pedestal and statuette that was contributed by the Flora Garden Club of Nacogdoches. In the 18th century the Spanish held bullfights in this area which is across the street from the Fredonia Hotel.
The Flag Bearers pass in front of Fredonia Hotel through the intersection of Fredonia St. The street and the hotel are named after the Fredonian Rebellion of 1826, a struggle in which citizens of Nacogdoches, including Haden Edwards and Adolphus Sterne, attempted to establish an independent Fredonian Republic. The red and white flag of the Fredonian Rebellion with the words "Independence, Liberty, and Justice" was raised above the Stone Fort for as brief time in this unsuccessful movement.
The First United Methodist Church, center left, is the idyllic expression of church architecture in the American landscape. Designed in 1969 by Nacogdoches Architects Maynard and Greer, this building combines classical Ionic columns at the entrance supporting a portico with wreath decorated pediment and a seven stage Gothic tower set to the side. The inlaid circular stones with radiating geometric patterns above the main doorway and on the tower are simplified refinements of the medieval rose window. This building replaces the earlier 1910 Gothic styled church at the same location which was constructed over a frame church existing here between 1887 and 1907. The 1860 to 1887 Methodist Church stood directly across the street at the southeast corner of Hospital and Pecan, the same location as the early Spanish Infirmary or Hospital after which the street was named.
The Mize Building, with the 2 flags displayed above, spans Hospital between Pecan and North St., or U.S. Highway 59, (historically known as La Calle del Norte.) It was constructed in the early 1960's and continues as the Mize Department Store with various professional offices occupying the expanded ground level and 2nd through 4th floors. This was the location of the old Hart Hotel, originally the Frost Thorn House.
A State of Texas Historial Marker near the southeast corner of U.S. Highway 59 and Hospital St. identifies the location of the 1804 residence of James Dill, the first mayor of Nacogdoches: "Born in Pennsylvania in 1770, pioneer Indian trader, Recognized by the King of Spain as a public spirited citizen, first Alcalde of Nacogdoches under the Mexican Government in 1821." Between this point and the Roland Jones House three blocks east there existed in colonial times the Old Cabildo or jail, the infirmary, and the area where the Spanish held bullfights. These 3 sites are not designated by historical markers since their exact locations on Hospital St. are not firmly established.
(Next Picture: McMichael Middle School Band)