The Washington Square District in Historic Nacogdoches
The Washington Square Historic District consists of 21 acres that were donated by the early settlers Haden Edwards, Charles S. Taylor, and J. R. Arnold toward the advancement of education in the area. Originally this land was the site of a number of ceremonial mounds built by the Caddo Indian cultures that flourished from 800-1700 A.D. Only one ceremonial mound remains today.
Washington Square is a composite of three diverse time periods in cultural history beginning with the serene columned Grecian temple of the Old University Building; the primitivism expressed in the Caddoan ceremonial earthen mounds; and ultimately the Moderne-Art Deco styled Thomas J. Rusk Middle School Building which, with its simplified geometry, massing of light colored cast stones, decorative clustered pipe columns, aerodynamically striped curvilinear canopies, translucent glass block window panels, triadic sunburst motifs on each side of a stepped forward central section, and flat roof over a triptych facade, reconciles, as Art Deco did for a brief moment in time during the 1920's and 30's, the emerging age of technology with the classical tradition of the past.
(Next Picture: Old University Building)