The Old North Church in Historic Nacogdoches

Picture of the Old North Church in Historic Nacogdoches, Texas

The Old North Church in Historic Nacogdoches

The Old North Church, originally called Union Church because various religious
denominations made up the congregation, was organized on May 6, 1838 and is the oldest active
Missionary Baptist church in Texas. The founder of Old North Church, Mrs. Massey Sparks Millard,
who came to Texas in 1832 and settled near the site of a spring where the church is now located,
arranged for the Reverend Isaac Reed to preach the first Baptist sermon to a group of settlers beneath
the shade of this ancient post-oak tree. Meeting in the first structure on the site, a one-room log house
called the Liberty School House, (so named after the Texan victory at the Battle of San Jacinto), the Reverend
Isaac Reed, the Elder R. G. Green, and a group of worshipers organized what is now the Old North Church.

The original building, a log structure, was built in 1838 and used until 1852
when the present church was erected on the original foundation stones. In 1933 the church
was reoriented to face the historic oak tree. The Old North Church Cemetery, which is part of
the original ten acres deeded by Dr. John M. Sparks to the Union Church in 1892, is a chronicle
of the early days of Nacogdoches County. Veterans of the American Revolution, the War of 1812,
the Texas Revolution, and some forty-seven Confederate Civil War soldiers are buried here. According
to legend, the first burial in this cemetery was that of a young girl whose family, traveling through
the area in a wagon train when she died, buried her here before continuing their westward journey."


(Next Picture: Old North Church Cemetery)
(Outline)
(Thumbnails)