Millard's Crossing Historical Village in Nacogdoches
Millard's Crossing is a collection of 19th century buildings that were brought together and
arranged in the pattern of a small village on part of a 37 acre estate by Mrs. Albert Thomas.
All of the restored structures come from Nacogdoches County and are an effort to preserve and
display early buildings, antiques, tools, and memorabilia that are part of the cultural heritage of
Texas. In the Sitton dog-trot house, (1843) and the Watkins Log House, (1830) the technique of
log house construction can be observed, while the Victorian style and country church Gothic can be
seen in the Methodist Parsonage, (1900) and the Free Methodist Chapel, (1905). The Country Store
replicates a general store where needed goods and services such as a hair cut, shoe shine, bath, and
general provisions were available. The Double Corn Crib, (late 1800's) houses archaic farm tools and
the small Log Office, (1860's) in shape and size, was typical of most offices in 19th century East Texas.
Among the artifacts framed on the wall of the small one room Log School House with its wood burning
stove, faded primers, and worn antiquated desks is a nine point code of conduct for teachers in 1872
revealing the austere, simple, and focused way of life followed by the people who settled this land.
(Next Picture: Sitton Log House)