Cove Springs Cemetery in Historic Nacogdoches County, Texas

Cove Springs Cemetery in Historic Nacogdoches County, Texas


Cove Springs Cemetery in Historic Nacogdoches County, Texas

Cove Springs Cemetery is located East of Nacogdoches off Texas State Hwy. 21 on County Road 350,
the Black Jack Melrose Road. Originally it was associated with a Methodist Church and named after
three coves and their springs nearby. Placed beneath the Texas Historical Marker near the entrance
gate the text of the Dedication Stone for the early Methodist Church reads as follows:


COVE SPRINGS
M.E. CHURCH SOUTH
FOUNDED
FEB. 17, 1858
LAND DEEDED BY
DANIEL H. VAIL
For Church and School purposes.
TO
JAMES----------WILLIAM
MCKNIGHT----------BRIMBERRY
D. M.----------BENJAMIN
PATE----------RHODES
W. L.----------WHITMILL
ROBINSON----------BENTLEY
Trustees of Cove Springs Church
RE-DEDICATED
OCT. 14, 1928


To the memory of these pioneers
and to all others who made those
old time Camp-meetings so glorious
in the days that are gone.




COVE SPRINGS CEMETERY

NAMED FOR THREE COVES AND THEIR
SPRINGS NEARBY, THIS CEMETERY WAS
ORIGINALLY ASSOCIATED WITH A LOCAL
METHODIST CHURCH. IN 1858, DANEL H.
VAIL DEEDED 30 ACRES OF LAND TO
THE CONGREGATION FOR SCHOOL AND
CHURCH PURPOSES, AND A CEMETERY
WAS ALSO ESTABLISHED THERE. THE
OLDEST DOCUMENTED GRAVE IS THAT
OF FIVE-YEAR-OLD MOSES J. DAVIS IN
1866, THOUGH SOME GRAVES ARE
MARKED WITH NATIVE ROCKS AND
COULD PREDATE IT. THE CEMETERY
COVERS 7.46 ACRES WITH 66 MARKED
GRAVES INSIDE A 1.4-ACRE FENCED
AREA. THE CEMETERY CONTINUES TO
SERVE AS A BURIAL SITE FOR THE
SURROUNDING COMMUNITY.


(Texas Historical Commission Plaque, 1996)



(Next Picture: Historic Town Center Sacul, Texas)
(Outline)
(Thumbnails)