The Wiley Hotel in Garrison, Texas

The Wiley Hotel in Garrison, Texas


The Wiley Hotel in Garrison, Texas

The Town of Garrison was founded in 1885. By about 1900 the Hotel Wiley, owned by Mrs. S. A. (Mattie) Wiley,
was in full operation. The Hotel was frequented by railroad and telephone workers, traveling salesmen and
townspeople who enjoyed Mrs. Wiley's family style meals in the dining room. At one time the Hotel had
about 38 rooms including a two-story annex that later was removed. The structure is a fine example of
early 20th century Railroad Hotel, exhibiting Queen Anne style influences in its hipped roof, decorative
spindle work in the lower cross gables, multi-light dormer windows and wraparound porch.
(Text from the Texas Historical Commission plaque at the historical site.)


(Next Picture: Pictures of Chireno, Texas)
(Outline)
(Thumbnails)