Bethel Baptist Church in Historic Nacogdoches County
Bethel Baptist Church was founded in 1878 and is located in Appleby, Texas off Texas Farm Road 2609
at the corner of County Roads 260 and 256 Happy Land Road. South of Bethel Church is the
Historic Bethel Cemetery. Below is the Text of the State of Texas Historical Marker for Bethel Cemetery.
THE BETHEL CEMETERY HAS SERVED THE
COMMUNITY OF APPLEBY SINCE THE 1880'S. THE
BURIAL GROUND'S NAME COMES FROM THE BETHEL
COMMUNITY, WHICH DEVELOPED IN THE LATE 19TH
CENTURY AS THE FOCAL POINT OF WHAT WOULD
BECOME APPLEBY. BY 1878, RESIDENTS ESTABLISHED
A CHURCH AND SCHOOL IN THE AREA. APPLEBY
EXPERIENCED GROWTH IN THE ENSUING YEARS AS
THE RAILROAD CAME THROUGH THE TOWN, AND
LUMBER AND COTTON INDUSTRIES DEVELOPED.
IN 1903, JOHN A HUNT CONVEYED LAND FOR
CEMETERY USE TO MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY.
THE FIRST KNOWN INTERMENT DATES TO 1887, AND
MANY EARLY LEADERS OF THE APPLEBY COMMUNITY
AND OTHER IMPORTANT INDIVIDUALS ARE AMONG
THOSE BURIED HERE: VETERANS FROM MILITARY
CONFLICTS DATING TO THE CIVIL WAR ARE INTERRED
IN THE CEMETERY AS WELL.
A CEMETERY ASSOCIATION FORMED EARLY IN THE
1900's TO CARE FOR THE BURIAL GROUND, WHICH IS
EXPANSIVE AND CONTAINS OBELISKS, CURBED PLOTS
AND WOODMEN OF THE WORLD GRAVE MARKERS.
STILL SERVING APPLEBY RESIDENTS TODAY, BETHEL
CEMETERY IS AS VITAL LINK TO THE PAST HISTORY OF
THIS RURAL COMMUNITY.