Harmony Baptist Church in Historic Nacogdoches County
Harmony Missionary Baptist Church is located on U.S. Hwy. 7 West and County Road 726.
Harmony Cemetery behind the church is a designated Historic Texas Cemetery. Here is the Text of the Texas Historical Commission Plaque.
JAMES NORVEL PITTS, A NATIVE OF PERRY
COUNTY, MISSISSIPPI, ARRIVED IN TEXAS IN
THE 1870's. IN 1877, HIS WIFE LANEY
(ODOM), THEIR SON JAMES, AND FAMILIES OF
FIVE PITTS BROTHERS AND OTHER FRIENDS
FROM MISSISSIPPI TRAVELED BY WAGON TO
JOIN HIM IN THIS AREA. THEY ESTABLISHED
THE COMMUNITY OF HARMONY, AND J. N.
PITTS DONATED LAND FOR A COMBINATION
CHURCH AND SCHOOL BUILDING, AND A
PUBLIC CEMETERY. THE OLDEST MARKED
GRAVE IS FOR RUBY EDDINGS (d. 1886).
FAMILIES OF THOSE BURIED HERE
TRADITIONALLY HAD AN ANNUAL CEMETERY
CLEANING DAY. LATER, HARMONY CEMETERY
ASSOCIATION FORMED TO MAINTAIN THE
BURIAL GROUND. AMONG THOSE INTERRED
HERE ARE VETERANS OF MILITARY CONFLICTS
DATING TO THE CIVIL WAR.