The Lilbert Baptist and Methodist Church in Historic Nacogdoches County

The Lilbert Baptist and Methodist Church in Historic Nacogdoches County

The Lilbert Baptist and Methodist Church on Texas Farm Road 343 at Lilbert in Historic Nacogdoches County



The building on the left is The Methodist Church and the Baptist Church. On the Right is the Lilbert Methodist
Fellowship Hall. There is an incipient figurative (devotional or sacred) garden connecting the two
buildings containing the three crosses and an external Memorial Stone. Texas Online describes
Lilbert as a dispersed rural community originally named Wallace Grove after a family of early
settlers. In 1899 when the post office was opened it was changed to Lilbert after the Rev. John
Lilbert Wortham who was the first postmaster.

(Memorial Stone)

LILBERT, TEXAS
A MEMORIAL IN HONOR OF
JOHN LILBERT WORTHAM
1874--1947
COMMUNITY NAMED FOR
JOHN LILBERT WORTHAM
FORMER POSTMASTER--1906



(Next Picture: Lilly Grove Baptist Church)

(Church Thumbnails)

(Outline)

(Thumbnails)