Historic Church at Millard's Crossing Historic Village in Nacogdoches County
The Historic Church at Millard's Crossing Historical Village in Nacogdoches County.
The history of the church given from a text at the historical site reads:
FREE METHODIST CHAPEL (1905)
"This church, which stood on the corner of Townsend Street and South
Fredonia (Hwy. 7) one block West of South Street (Hwy. 59), was built
in 1905 or shortly thereafter according to the Deed Records of
Nacogdoches County, Vol. 58, p219, by a group of "Free Methodists".
Free Methodists were an independent lot who did not agree with many
of the Methodist doctrines and strongly objected to the practice of
charging a fee for use of a pew. Free Methodists believed that you
should not have to pay to sit down to hear the word of God. This
church did not have a steeple until it was moved to Millard's Crossing
as steeples were often unaffordable luxuries for struggling
congregations. The Church disbanded sometime after WWII as
membership dwindled and gas rationing made travel prohibitive for the
circuit preachers that serviced the congregation during wartime."