Old North Baptist Church in Historic Nacogdoches County Texas

Old North Baptist Church in Historic Nacogdoches County Texas

Old North Baptist Church in Historic Nacogdoches County Texas



The Old North Baptist Church is located off U.S. Hwy. 59 north of the City of Nacogdoches at the
intersection of County Roads 205 and 202 (Old North Church Road and Loveless Lane.)
The church was organized in 1838 by a group of pioneers meeting in a Log building known
as Liberty School House--so named because of the Victory of the Texans at the Battle of
San Jacinto on April 21, 1836 which brought religious freedom to Texas. Originally known
as Union Baptist Church because of the different faiths that worshipped there, the Old North
Church is the oldest active Missionary Baptist Church in Texas. The historic Post Oak Tree that
stood in front of the church, and under which the earliest Protestant Sermons were
preached, was brought down by Hurricane Rita in 2005. The Old North Church Cemetery,
containing burials of veterans of the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Texas Revolution,
and some forty-seven Confederate Civil War Soldiers and twenty-One Union Soldiers, is a
Chronicle of the Early Days of Nacogdoches County.22



Next Picture: (Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church)

Church Thumbnails

(Main Outline)

(Main Thumbnails)