Saints Rest Baptist Church in Historic Nacogdoches County
Saints Rest Baptist Church, located south of Nacogdoches off Texas Farm Road 1275 on
County Road 538, was founded by August Tubbe (1841--1918), a German immigrant,
who donated the land for the church, the cemetery and Dorr Creek School, and was
pastor of Saints Rest church for 52 years. Below is the text of the two Memorial
Stones on the grounds of the church and Saints Rest Cemetery.
BETWEEN 1880 AND 1895
AUGUST TUBBE DONATED SIX ACRES
FOR DEVELOPMENT OF THIS HISTORIC
CEMETERY, SAINTS REST CHURCH
AND DORR CREEK SCHOOL.
THE FIRST RECORDED BURIAL HERE
WAS ELIZABETH McKENNON ALLEN
WHO DIED JANUARY 7, 1865.
(THE JAMES HAGGARD CHAPTER
COLONIAL DAMES XVII CENTURY