Simpson Campground United Methodist Church at Woden in Historic Nacogdoches County
SIMPSON'S CAMP GROUND
M. E. CHURCH S.
ESTABLISHED JUNE 1851
REBUILT JUNE 1927
REV. L.C. UPTON PASTOR
MRS. B. DRIVER
MRS. J.P. HILL
MRS. E.H. HOBBS
MRS. W.H. PARISH
Simpson Campground United Methodist Church is located off Texas Farm Road 226 on County Road 411 at
Woden, Texas in Historic Nacogdoches County. This Building, the 3rd one on the site, after the 1851 brush
arbor tabernacle and the 1887 structure, was constructed in 1927 on the original 10 acres given by
John and Jane Simpson for Religious Campground meetings. Services would sometimes last for 2 weeks
with sermons, hymn singing, and other devotional activities taking place for people coming on their
horses and in their wagons and camping around the site. In Cove Springs Cemetery, four and one-
half miles Northeast of here, there is a Memorial Monument Re-dedicated in 1928 which ends with
these words reflecting the nostalgia of those early days.
"To the memory of these pioneers
and to all others who made those
old time camp-meetings so glorious
in the days that are gone."