The Old Stagecoach Inn on Texas Hwy. 21 at Chireno, Texas in Historic Nacogdoches County

The Old Stagecoach Inn on Texas Hwy. 21 at Chireno, Texas in Historic Nacogdoches County

The Old Stagecoach Inn on Hwy. 21 at Chireno, Texas in Historic Nacogdoches County

The Old Stagecoach Inn, also Known as the Flournoy-Granberry House and the Halfway Inn, is located 17.5 Miles east of
Nacogdoches on Texas State Highway 21 near Chireno Texas. The following is the text from the Texas Historic Landmark
Commission Plaque at the site.

HALFWAY INN
(FLOURNOY-GRANBERRY HOUSE)

THIS TWO-STORY LOG DWELLING WAS BUILT ON THE EL
CAMINO REAL ABOUT 1840 BY SAMUEL FLOURNOY FOR HIS
WIFE MINERVA (WADINGTON) AND THEIR FAMILY WHO MOVED
TO TEXAS FROM MISSISSIPPI. THEY SETTLED IN THE CHIRENO
AREA, WHERE THEY PURCHASED 300 ACRES. AN ACTIVE MEM-
BER OF THE COMMUNITY, FLOURNOY WAS APPOINTED AS A
REPUBLIC OF TEXAS POSTMASTER IN 1843, AND CONTINUED
AS POSTMASTER AS PART OF THE UNITED STATES POSTAL
SERVICE. THIS HOUSE SERVED AS THE POST OFFICE FOR A
FIFTEEN-MILE RADIUS, AND WAS A POPULAR HALFWAY STOP
ON THE STAGECOACH ROUTE BETWEEN NACOGDOCHES AND
SAN AUGUSTINE, TEXAS.
THE FLOURNOYS, AFTER ACQUIRING AN ADDITIONAL 500
ACRES, SOLD THIS PROPERTY IN 1852 AND MOVED AWAY. THE
PROPERTY CHANGED OWNERS SEVERAL TIMES UNTIL 1917
WHEN H. R. GRANBERRY PURCHASED THE HOUSE. IT REMAINED
IN HIS FAMILY UNTIL 1981. THIS HOUSE WAS MOVED TWELVE
MILES EAST OF NACOGDOCHES IN 1984, BUT IN 1988 WAS
RETURNED TO THE FLOURNOY HOMESTEAD WITHIN ONE-
QUARTER MILE OF ITS ORIGINAL LOCATION.
THIS HEWN-LOG RESIDENCE IS CONSTRUCTED OF SQUARE
NOTCH LOGS TWO ROOMS WIDE AND ONE ROOM DEEP WITH
A DOGTROT, OR CENTRAL HALL. THE TWO-STORY HOUSE WAS
RESTORED THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF LOCAL CITIZENS.



(Next Picture: Exco Operating Co. in Chireno, Texas)

(Chireno Outline)

Main Outline)

(Main Thumbnails)