Camp Chireno Park at Chireno, Texas in Historic Nacogdoches County

Camp Chireno Park at Chireno, Texas

Camp Chireno Park at Chireno, Texas in Historic Nacogdoches County


CAMP CHIRENO
WORLD WAR II P.O.W. CAMP

DURING WORLD WAR II, THE FROST
LUMBER CO. (NACOGDOCHES) AND THE
ANGELINA LUMBER CO. (LUFKIN) REQUESTED
THAT THE WAR MANPOWER COMMISSION
(WMC) ESTABLISH CAMP CHIRENO AS A
"PERMANENT" BRANCH OF CAMP FANNIN
(SMITH COUNTY). THE WMC LEASED PRIVATE
LAND AND BUILT THE 30-ACRE COMPOUND
WEST OF HERE ALONG CAMP ROAD
LOCATED IN AN AREA DEVASTATED BY THE
JANUARY 1944 ICE STORM. THIS CAMP
BENEFITED FROM CHIRENO'S ESTABLISHED
RAILROAD FACILITIES. THE SITE FIRST
RECEIVED PRISONERS OF WAR (POW's) IN
MAY 1944. THE CAMP'S 3OO POW's SPENT
THEIR TIME CUTTING AND SALVAGING
TIMBER AND PULPWOOD. THE CAMP CLOSED
IN MARCH 1945, NEAR THE END OF THE WAR.
(Text from State of Texas Historical Marker)

(Next Picture: (Chireno Baptist Church in Chireno, Texas)

(Chireno Outline)

(Main Outline)

(Main Thumbnails)