An 1895 School Class in the Nat Community near Cushing, Texas in Historic Nacogdoches County

An 1895 School Class in the Nat Community near Cushing, Texas

An 1895 School Class in the Nat Community near Cushing, Texas in Historic Nacogdoches County

Originally known as "Old Philadelphia," Nat was later called "Crossroads" because it was located at the crossroads of the
Douglass-Linn Flatt and Nacogdoches-Looneyville roads. In 1895 it was named Nat after Nathaniel "Nat" Jarrell who became
the first postmaster. In the same year the Nat School was established and continued until 1943 when it was moved to Cushing, Texas.
In 1897 Nat had a population of about 1700 which included the surrounding communities of Friendship, Looneyville, Flowery Mountain,
Flat Woods, Red Flat and Wilsonville. Nat is located 14 miles northwest of Nacogdoches on Texas Farm Road 343 and today has a population of
around 25. In this old photograph the names are not identified but the first school teachers at Nat were; D. Rawlinson, Ocie Oran, Reubin McPherson,
Lelia Whitaker, Lunnie Crawford, Roy Lee Brown and Agnes Russell.15


(Next Picture: (The Cushing High School Band at the Sacul Folk Festival)

(Cushing Outline)

(Cushing Thumbnails)

(Main Outline)

(Main Thumbnails)