A View from Flowery Mountain in Historic Nacogdoches

A View from Flowery Mountain in Historic Nacogdoches

A View from Flowery Mountain in Historic Nacogdoches

All that remains of the homestead that once stood here overlooking this scenic view is the old well, now covered with concrete, and large declining oak and cottonwood trees that surrounded the house. The Flowery Mountain Community was located on an elevated expanse of land, a mesa-like area of six square miles, in northwestern Nacogdoches County. Originally it was known as Brewer's Mountain after Henry Brewer who, in 1835, received a grant for the land and moved from Ohio to Texas with his wife and six children. In 1862 Rufus McClain and Andrew Hayter began a foundry to process iron ore from Flowery Mountain, but with the outbreak of the Civil War the project was abandoned. In 1869 the Rev. Washington Albritton came to Texas as one of the first ministers of the Redland Baptist Church. He renamed the area around the church Flowery Mountain after the wildflowers that grew here, which included wild plum, granddaddy greybeard, dogwood, redbud, black and red haw and others. Albritton's church also served as a school and in 1897 had thirty-six students. The Flowery Mountain Community existed for about 100 years, reaching a peak population in 1936. After the Second World War the inhabitants began to move to the cities for jobs.1


(Next Picture: Winter Landscape from the Northwest Hills
(Outline)
(Thumbnails)