Nacogdoches Independent School District E. J. Campbell Administration Building in Historic Nacogdoches

Nacogdoches Independent School District E. J. Campbell Building in Historic Nacogdoches

Nacogdoches Independent School District E. J. Campbell Administration Building at 420 S. Shawnee St. in Historic Nacogdoches



Memorial Stone at the Administration Building:

EDWARD JOHN CAMPBELL
1877-----1937
PRINCIPAL
OF
NACOGDOCHES COLORED SCHOOL
1910--------1937

E. J. CAMPBELL INSPIRED THE PEOPLE OF
A COUNTY, A PART OF A STATE, AND A PART
OF THE WORLD THAT WAS ENSLAVED IN
IGNORANCE. HE BROUGHT HOPE TO HIS
FELLOWMAN. FROM THE CORN FIELDS OF
DOUGLASS TO THE HALLS OF JUSTICE AND
KNOWLEDGE, HIS INSPIRING PRESENCE
RADIATED HOPE AND EMANCIPATED HIS
PEOPLE FROM THE SHACKLES OF IGNORANCE.
FROM THE RIVER BANKS OF THE ANGELINA
TO THE DOME OF THE STATE CAPITOL HE
ADDED DIGNITY TO THE LAND AND TO THE
PEOPLE. HE MADE US PROUD TO BE AMERICANS.
E. J. CAMPBELL HIGH SCHOOL WAS NAMED
IN HIS HONOR IN 1937.


(Next Picture: E. J. Campbell School Building)
(Main Outline)
(Main Thumbnails)
(Shawnee Thumbnails)